Friday the 13th is the fear of the number 13 and that is called “triskaidekaphobia”. So we celebrate and educate today on this crazy phenomenon. Should you be wary or not? Read on & you decide!
Jennifer Steele, M-F 7p-12a, 101.5 K-HITS
Friday The 13th!!
Yet another Friday the 13th has arrived, bringing the usual superstitious chatter along with vows to avoid flying and other fear-inducing activities. Why are we so weird about the 13th?
13 Fun Facts About Friday the 13th
1. From the cradle to the grave-
Today is Friday the 13th and there is a full moon to boot this evening. So, how superstitious are you?
Will you walk under a ladder, break a mirror or cross paths with a black cat on Friday, September 13? Probably not, but here are a few fun facts about Friday the 13th folklore nevertheless.
- Author Mark Twain was once warned off of attending a dinner party because he was the 13th guest. The writer didn’t heed the warning but did quip that there was only enough “food for 12.”
- Rapper Tupac Shakur died on Friday the 13th in Las Vegas. The singer was killed from wounds inflicted by a drive-by shooting that remains unsolved.
- Triskaidekaphobia is the fear of 13.
- Italians think Friday the 13th is a lucky day, but worry about any Friday the 17th.
- Alfred Hitchcock was born on Friday the 13th.
- There are 13 movies in the “Friday the 13th” franchise. The last was released in 2017.
- The Thirteen Club of New York was formed in 1882. Members were not at all superstitious. They always had dinners on Friday the 13th lit by 13 candles.
- Head to Las Vegas to get married on the next Friday the 13th. Sin City offers Halloween and Gothic themed weddings on the date and year round too.
- Of course the “Friday the 13th” movies were released on the date, but so were Julia Roberts’ “Eat, Pray, Love,” “The Expendables” and ‘Fifty Shades of Grey.”
- Singer Taylor Swift loves 13. After all it is her birthday and she once told MTV that she turned 13 on a Friday the 13th. How long did it take her first album to go gold? You guessed it, 13 weeks.
Tonight’s full moon is the first in 19 years. There won’t be another one on a Friday the 13th until August 13, 2049. So brave the black cats roaming around and take a look.
7 songs. 1 theme.
That pretty much sums it up!
Each weeknight at 7:00, I play 7 songs that fit some theme. What’s the theme? Listen at 7 to find out and sing along. The funnest part is trying to guess which songs we might play that fit the theme!
Have an idea for a theme? Click Here!