Order Take Out Safely!
Many restaurants are being forced to go to take out and delivery only due to the coronavirus pandemic, and while you may want to place an order so you can give your local establishments business during these trying times, is it really safe to do so?
Well, so far there’s no evidence that the virus can be passed through food, but that still doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take a few precautions before placing your take out order.
Here are a few suggestions:
- Stick with restaurants you know and trust – It’s important to be familiar with the place you’re ordering from, so you know whether or not you can trust them, and feel okay about their sanitation practices.
- Check out their history – Do a little research and find out a restaurant’s health inspection reports to see how well they do with hygiene and safety.
- Make sure food is fresh – Exposing yourself to bacteria isn’t good for the immune system so be careful before you eat your food. Make sure it’s still hot because food at room temperature can cause bacteria to grow.
- Be conscious of containers – Experts suggest taking precautions when opening containers, like using gloves, since you don’t know who touched them and whether they were carrying the virus.
- Limit human contact – Try not to come in physical contact with the person handling your food. If it’s a delivery guy, ask them to leave the food at the door in order to stick with social distancing.
- Make cooking at home a priority – At the end of the day, cooking food yourself is the safest option so try to do it as much as possible.