Boosting Your Mood Can Be Quick!
This whole working from home thing has its advantages, like not having to deal with your commute or get dressed up every day, but there’s still that whole work part we have to do and that can get stressful. No matter how much you love your job, there are going to be days when you’re just not feeling it and that may be happening now more than ever, even while you’re working from your comfy couch. And when you’re feeling meh about work and need a quick fix to help get your head back in the game, try one of these to lift your mood.
- Take a short walk – Stopping for a stroll in the middle of your workday gives you a trifecta of good: It can help increase creativity, boost your thinking power, and give you a much-needed break from sitting. Plus, an Iowa State study shows going for a walk has a significant positive impact on mood, so it makes you happier, too.
- Watch a short, funny video – Laughing doesn’t just feel good, research shows it can energize you and also make you more productive.
- Organize your workspace – Having a neat and organized place to work has been proven to boost people’s ability to focus and increase productivity.
- Play uplifting music – Some people like listening to music while working and one study finds a good reason to give it a try – a link between listening to music and the release of dopamine, a feel-good neurotransmitter.
- Chat with a coworker – You may have to do it over Zoom instead of in-person, but interacting with a colleague and sharing stories or a quick laugh about silly situations at work can break up the day and make work feel less work-like.
- Take healthy lunch and snack breaks – Instead of reaching for another cup of coffee, try a nutritious snack and water for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up. Eating well and staying hydrated could prevent your mood from dipping and help you focus, too.