With everything going on in the world right now, it’s easy to feel down and out. But the good news is it’s easy to change your perspective and bring more joy into your life. Happiness comes from within and you can get there by showing yourself compassion, respect and acceptance. Here are a few things to help you reconnect with yourself and be happier.
- Set smaller goals – It’s easy to get discouraged when you don’t meet your goals, so think in baby steps, like striving to be one-percent better.
- Get comfortable saying “no” – Having limits and setting boundaries can help you give your best. There’s nothing wrong with saying “not right now” or “this is what I can do” instead of agreeing to more than you can or want to do.
- Practice gratitude – Being thankful and reflecting on the things and people in your life that you’re grateful for will make you happier and bring joy into your life.
- Honor your feelings – Even the happiest people don’t feel that way all the time, but the key is to own your emotions instead of bottling up those less positive feelings.
- Nourish your body – Take good care of yourself by getting enough quality sleep, being active, and eating healthy, nutritious foods.
- Embrace mindfulness – That means being present, connecting to the moment and your senses, and taking time to notice things you might otherwise miss.
- Talk to yourself with loving kindness – Treat yourself the way you would a friend, gently and kindly. When you’re feeling down, give yourself the same pep talk you’d give her.
- Know your worth – To feel good about yourself, you need to recognize your value and all the things you have to offer to your relationships, work and community. Focus on all there is to like about you and you’ll be feeling happier with yourself and your life.